Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holidailies -- Day 23

Have any holiday acts of giving brightened your Christmas this year? I played Santa in three different places this year. First I dropped off books in the Toys for Tots box.

Then I bought a winter coat and fleece vest for a girl from the village children's home. I choste her heart-shaped ornament off the tree at Whole Foods because I thought i was touching that, instead of a video game, she asked for a winter coat. I also included gloves and a necklace that said, "LOVE."

Then there was a toy drive in our office building, where I contributed a bag of toys, including the helicopter kit I bought at a sidewalk sale last June.

I admit I was suffering from the holiday blues this week. I still slip into it now and again. But then I think about the helicopter kit, the books and the LOVE necklace. Those physical manifestations of the spirit of Christmas help. Like the reformed Ebeneezer Scrooge at the end of A Christmas Carol, I find it's healing to honor Christmas in my heart.

Thanks to Snarkypants and Boliyou for their support and inspiration.

3 comments:

  1. I saw a giving tree at the mall a few weeks ago when I did my shopping and I was really happy to see that there were no more "ornaments" on it with names. Hopefully the kids who's ornaments hung on that tree have a good Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what it's all about, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a necklace that says LOVE too! :) That was a lovely gift, Gal. I wish you knew that gifts from the heart (as all yours are) are so appreciated even if you can't see it.

    I'd rather have a small gift from the heart than a fabulously expensive pair of shoes (you know the ones!). It's the heart energy that makes it magnificent.

    *love you

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.