Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Trying to set the reset button

I took today off as a mental health day.

I slept in (past 8:00 AM!) and did two loads of laundry in my own laundry room (first time since September!). It was good to be able to bleach my undies again.

Took a nap and ordered myself barbecue ribs and followed Illinois' complicated gubernatorial election.

I feel better, but I still have this sense of dread -- mostly about my mother's mental acuity and my oldest friend's recent relocation to California. My mom is frighteningly, progressively more willful and forgetful these days and my friend's freshman-aged daughter is, I fear, on the verge of making some serious mistakes at her new high school. The girl is going from a conservative suburb in Illinois' DuPage Co. to Beverly Hills High. I'm not sure that posts that say, "Itz Halloween motherfuckers" and "u r a fag but my fag" and references to suicide are the way to represent her to her new classmates, or my friend to the mothers of her new classmates.

I worry. I worry. I worry. But I'm trying to let go what I can't change and just move on. And I do feel better today. Maybe blissful, uninterrupted sleep really is what I needed.

3 comments:

  1. It's great that you could take the day to do some self-care. It sounds like you needed it. Sorry you're worrying about your loved ones. I hope everything turns out all right with your friend and her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't be you if you weren't worrying about someone close to you! :-)

    Hope your day turned out to be a decent one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While we can't hit CTRL-ALT-DEL on our lives as we might wish, occasionally we get to press the PAUSE button for a few hours. Sleep can do wonders to recharge.

    I hope you get some reassuring news soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.