Thursday, October 07, 2010

But I just saw him last Tuesday!

My former boss, Ed, and I had lunch last week. He was in such good spirits. We talked about how he and his wife spent their 30th anniversary in Hawaii, about his daughter's upcoming nuptials, about how he's been out of work for nearly 3 years now but is still looking -- it surprises him that people think he's retired.

Right before lunchtime, I received this email from him:

"I have been trying to figure out a way of telling people that last week our daughter was disgnosed with leukemia last week. We are in New York and plan on being here for a while. She has had 7 chemo treatments and will have followup when her strain is totally diagnosed. We are stilll in shock. Whole thing came on very quickly."

This is such monumentally sobering news that I haven't processed it completely yet. Life changes on a dime, doesn't it? We can't take anything for granted.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, yes it does. I can still hear my cousin's voice the day she called and told me Lauren had cancer. It was like everything was the same and nothing was the same.

    I became known as the family scribe and was the one who kept everyone posted on what was going on with Lauren. It made me feel like I was doing something to help. (They did take me along to doc visits for comic relief.)

    I'll keep your boss and family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shock. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cancer is always sneaky. Bastard. I know more survivors than statistics but I do have a close family friend teetering too close to that stat line right now. I hope your friend's daughter finds the cure she needs ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is tragic and unsettling. I am sending my best and positive thoughts and prayers. What a horrible thing to go through.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.