Monday, February 01, 2010

Monday Movie Meme -- Highs and Lows

Name someone whose work you admire enough to overlook, or even forget completely, those performances where they weren't quite on their game. Or perhaps there is someone whose portrayals are usually forgettable, but they have surprised you with a gem here or there. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut as they say. Here are some examples we thought of. Share on your blog other highs and lows of a particular actor/actress and link back here at The Bumbles. And don't forget to visit your fellow participants!
Liza Minnelli
aka "The Blind Squirrel"
As a rule, I hate her in the movies. She's too obviously "acting" and her look is so severe that she never disappears into character.
The Good -- Cabaret. The exception that proves the rule. Everything about her -- even the green nails -- is delightfully decadent and very Sally Bowles.
The Bad -- Arthur. C'mon, admit it: Didn't you wonder why he didn't opt for the money and Jill Eikenberry?
The Ugly -- That's Entertainment! When she introduces the best-of-Garland segment by speaking mawkishly about "Mama," and later says, "Thank GAWD for film," I want to vomit.

Cher
Just about everythng I said about Liza is true of Cher, too. Yet, I always root for Cher and want to like her.
The Good -- Mask, Silkwood, Moonstruck, Mermaids, Witches of Eastwick ...
The Bad -- Tea with Mussolini
The Ugly -- Chastity

4 comments:

  1. Moonstruck... one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You want to root for Cher because she rocks. Though I didn't see Chastity....

    And I love your labeling Liza as the Blind Squirrel! Right on with that one. And yes - I did wonder about Arthur's choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. spot on with Liza --I'm not much of a Cher person, I've never seen anything she's done

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right with you on Liza. Same with Cher, although I've not seen Chastity.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.