Friday, September 11, 2009

You were on my mind


As I rode the train in this morning, through the shadow of Sears Tower, past Marina City, to my office more than 40 stories up in the Aon Building, today's date took on an ominous meaning and I was frightened again -- remembering what happened 8 years ago at that very hour, and wondering if "they" were going to try it again, but this time in Chicago.

I love downtown Chicago and it pisses me off that the very structures that are so beautiful against the bright blue sky that they take my breath away suddenly look dangerous. How dare those frigging terrorists do that to me! I can only imagine the rage New Yorkers must feel.

9/11 pops into my mind, unbidden, every day. I suddenly see cops patrolling Millennium Park, or police with dogs standing near trash cans on the el platform, or police boats under the tracks in the Chicago River, and I know there's "chatter" out there and the City is trying to keep me safe. If I'm in an office building that requires an ID not only to get in but to leave (or like this one, to enter the restroom), and I remember why. If I leave my home on a cloudy/foggy morning and can't see Sears Tower from my porch, I imagine that's how New Yorkers feel every day when they look for the World Trade Center.

So New Yorkers, here's to you. Your spiritual sister in The Second City can only imagine your pain, anger and pride today when you look over to where these towers once were.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:10 AM

    I was debating whether to go into the city yesterday as I had (most) of the day off. I kind of felt that since I lived so close to the city it was kind of my duty to go and to support but in the end the nasty weather won out.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.