Wednesday, July 08, 2009

I'm trying not to be embarrassed

A woman I used to work with -- a sweet, generous girl -- had her first baby last weekend. I got an excited email, along with some photos, from her husband.

I wanted to send her something because she's that kind of person: You WANT to celebrate her happy times. This isn't a professional obligation, she's genuinely that nice. While farting about on the Internet, I found that she's registered at Toys 'R Us. However her baby registry was pretty picked over by the time her baby arrived.

I decided to send a $25 Toys 'R Us gift card and a "Welcome, Baby!" greeting card instead. Then I had a nice long, talk with myself. I really can't afford $25.

My friend John's birthday celebration is this Friday. I gave my niece money to help her buy cell phone minutes before she goes off to culinary summer camp at a nearby university. Last month I paid for everything when my nephew and I went to Springfield. Not that long ago I bought graduation gifts for another friend's children. Unforeseen things will undoubtedly come up. I have to start economizing.

So I sent the new mom a $15 Toys 'R Us gift card and a "Welcome, Baby!" greeting card. Somehow the $15 card looks significantly cheaper.

I am being silly. The new mom is such a nice woman, I know that she will be happy that so many people thought of her, and she won't waste her time monetizing the birth of her first child. I can be such an ass at times.

5 comments:

  1. It is the thought that counts...I am sure she can use it for diapers. AND they are a much needed item.
    Don't beat yourself up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate. And I agree with Vivian. It is the thought that counts and any gift is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a huge heart - and it truly IS the thought that counts. Every little bit helps when you have a new baby and I know she appreciates it.

    You know, I HATE giving gift cards but LOVE receiving them. I always feel like I'm handing them a sign that says "Here, I couldn't be bothered to think of anything for you. Have some money." yet when I get them, I'm always so excited, no matter how much it is.

    That's me - confusion in a box (with a bow, even!).

    You made someone happy. That's the bottom line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a lovely gift. I wish she could know just how much you think of her generosity and kindness as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:07 AM

    These days $15. = $50. It's tough times for everyone. She will be touched by your recognition.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.