Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Thursday Thirteen #105 -- The Common Cold


THIRTEEN THINGS
YOU SHOULD KNOW

ABOUT THE COMMON COLD


Because I'm obsessing about the sniffles, coughs and drips that plagued me for a week and are just now drifting away ...

1) Colds usually begin with a low-grade fever and a sore throat, frequently accompanied by fatigue.

2) It's during the first three days of a cold that you're most contagious.

3) Post-nasal drip causes the sore throat and, eventually, the cough.

4) At the beginning of your cold, your nose will drip with watery secretions.

5) As the runny nose develops into a cough, the secretions will become thicker and darker. Mine were a yellowy-green. Let me assure you, it was as attractive as it sounds.

6) The common cold lasts from 7 to 14 days.

7) Children tend to come down with colds the most often, as many as 10/year, and it's estimated that 22 million school days are lost annually because of colds.

8) It's normal for an adult to have between 2 and four colds a year.

9) Statistically speaking, women have more colds than men. It's often assumed this is because women have closer contact with children.

10) While colds are not caused by cold weather, they do occur most often in the six coldest months of the year (October through March).

11) Some researchers believe this is because cold weather makes the inside lining of your nose drier and more vulnerable to viral infection.

12) Smokers get more colds than non-smokers, because smoke dries out your nasal passages.

13) It's been suggested that exercise can help prevent colds because it makes you breathe faster to help transfer oxygen from your lungs to your blood. If this is true, why did I get sick almost immediately after joining a new fitness club? HUH?

Thanks to WebMD for all this information.

To participate yourself, or to look up more TT participants, visit the new hub (thursday-13.com).

15 comments:

  1. Sniff Sniff oh my this was a timely post for me sniff and I did learn a bit, now can you do one on ways to remedy sore throats? (When sniff you get better?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting facts. I usually get two colds every year. Once in the Spring and then again in late Fall. Hope you feel better real soon!
    Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, especially as I am just coming out of a cold.

    Before I gave up smoking I used to get 3 or 4 a year. The one I have now is my first for about 8 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good information to know. Right now it's allergies for me and my son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must have a permanent cold then....I'm sore, running a low fever all the time, and fatigue is my middle name. [LOL]

    My 13 is posted. What I see on the back of a cereal box...it's a fun 13 this week...come join me if you find time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear by Zicam when I have a cold. It really does help it go away faster and not be as problematic while it is on-going. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I may be catching a cold just reading this list. Well done!
    Happy T13.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea for a post. We all get colds. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh.... I hope I don't catch a cold by reading this--or jinx myself!

    Great list and Happy TT! Hope you get a chance to come by and visit mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. therubycanary10:24 AM

    I like #13.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm knocking on wood hoping this post isn't catching. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Vitamin C and Zicam usually work wonders for me ... especially when I sense a cold coming on.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting. I've gotten a lot better in the last few years about just letting my colds run their course, instead of trying to treat all the symptoms, which don't help all that much anyway. It makes for a miserable few days but seems to be done sooner. Probably my imagination... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:12 PM

    Everyone I know, including myself, always get sick right at the beginning of a new fitness routine.

    Perhaps it's the increased contact with people as we put things in place or scope out our new gym, or perhaps we all over do it in the beginning and wear ourselves down leaving us susceptible.

    Either way I'm glad you're getting better.

    Happy TT

    ~X

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can so relate to those symptoms. But mine is allergies and asthma not the common cold. Bad time of year for me as all the trees are throwing pollen around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting list (albeit with some icky descriptions early on). I usually seem to get colds all the time, or so it seems, but fortunately I've not had one yet this year (and I've done zero exercise in that period - so so much for #13).

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.