Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Thursday Thirteen #100 -- The Best Albums of the 1980s


THE 13
"BEST ALBUMS OF THE 1980s"

THAT MADE IT
TO MY COLLECTION


Between this week's Michael Jackson-themed American Idol and the recent Tuesday Tunes, I've been thinking a lot about the 80s. The good people at Rolling Stone made a long and exhaustive list of the 100 best albums of the 1980s. I reviewed it, and rather than give you their top 13 (many of which I don't even remember; I'm so unhip), I decided to let you know which 13 of their list I actually purchased.

The number that leads into the album title is the designation given to it by Rolling Stone, not by this Gal. And remember, RS was ranking the albums in terms of quality and influence, not sales (which explains why there's no Rick Astley). In all, I recall the 1980s as a very good decade for music -- and Bruce Springsteen.

2. Purple Rain - Prince & The Revolution
5. Graceland - Paul Simon
6. Born In The U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen
7. Thriller - Michael Jackson
16. 1999 - Prince
25. Tunnel Of Love - Bruce Springsteen
29. Double Fantasy - John Lennon & Yoko Ono
34. Tattoo You - The Rolling Stones
47. Private Dancer - Tina Turner
70. Travelling Wilburys Vol. 1 - Travelling Wilburys
75. She's So Unusual - Cyndi Lauper
81. 1984 - Van Halen
86. The River - Bruce Springsteen

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!

Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

17 comments:

  1. You are correct. Your list IS better than theirs. And I know a bit about music. Great job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all of those albums, too. Some of them made the upgrade to CD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:21 PM

    I have all of those albums (in CD form) even though I really shouldn't as I'm far too young. I love 80s music though, especially when compared to most of what's on the radio these days.

    Now, the *fashion*...that I'm a little disturbed is coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rolling Stones! They were my fav in the 80's Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prince is the best! I still jam to that!! Wow - have I been listing to that since the 80's??!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very good idea for a list... i still remember those songs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I played Purple Rain, Thriller and the Cyndi Lauper album over and over again. Fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:21 PM

    You're ahead of me. I don't think anything I bought in the 80's survived.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:30 PM

    I'll take your word for it. I don't know any of those, but then I never played a single album in the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your list so much better! and I have half of these CD's. and a few LP's I inherited from my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No U2?!!!

    My thirteen is now posted...come join me? Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list of 80s! I recognized them all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great collection...and I don't own a single one of them. But then, my bride and I were in the middle of our child raising years in the 80's, so the music collection was put on hold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have some of these albums. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...a flash back....whew...lol. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too much Bruce. Make him stop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too much Bruce? (Tilting my head like a puppy who is trying to understand.) What is too much Bruce? There's no such thing!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.