Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Heads or Tails #24 -- Getting There

I may be in the minority, but I love Amtrak. I use it on occasion to travel on business, and every time I go down to Springfield to visit Honest Abe. It's often cheaper than driving (just $12 to visit my client downstate) and it's great for people watching: Families going down to Springfield to see the Lincoln sites, soldiers going home from Iraq or Afghanistan, business people, students going to and from college ... I prefer the leisurely pace, too. If you like watching the scenery go by, sipping "affordable" wine in the snack car without worrying about driving drunk, and eavesdropping on your fellow travelers, I recommend Amtrak. (Warning: Sometimes I suspect they view their schedules as mere "rough estimates," so make sure you give yourself enough time.)

To participate in HoT, click here.

7 comments:

  1. I wish Amtrack were more available in our area, and headed a little more directly to the places we would like to go, because I really like passenger trains.

    Tabbikat's Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to use Amtrak occasionally but their schedule is so non-conducive to traveling from this part of the world. Sounds like it works well for you - great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to travel by train at least once. I don't think the little train ride at Disney counts..

    Glad you could play. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to prefer rail travel in the UK, until it got so terrible and expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rode the train once. From Missouri back home to Ohio. I really enjoyed it. My only problem is the really long lay-overs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love taking the LI RAilroad into manhatttan.. it makes the journey more exciting and I love talking with my husband instead of watching him give everyone the finger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:08 AM

    I took Amtrack a few years ago when I went out to Indiana to visit my aunt and her family. It was fun, but if I go again I'll either fly or drive.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.