Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Heads or Tails #19 -- Anything Round


Since this week's theme is "anything round," I am going to pause for a moment to reflect on nickels. Yes, the 5¢ piece.

They annoy me because I always have so many and I can't seem to use them. The pop machine here at work won't accept nickels (oh, it says it accepts them, but don't be fooled; they just fall straight to the coin return). The washer and dryer in the basement at home only accept quarters. I suppose I could use them to add value to my transit card, but a one-way ride is $1.75 and it takes so long to plunk nickel after nickel into that machine.

So I have begun using my nickels for good. I try to keep a few in my pocket in all times to share with the homeless or, now that it's Christmas, with the Salvation Army. It's more satisfying to hear them drop into the kettle or cup of someone who needs them than to simply curse them for not being quarters.

If you'd like to play along yourself, click here.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea.. sharing your nickels with those who can really benefit from them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:52 PM

    Great idea. I'm saving all my change in a huge jar and when it gets full I'm going to cash them in. I also belong to a "keep the change" program at my bank that rounds up to the next dollor when you use your debit card. The extra change goes into your account. When the jar gets full and I get enough in the account, I'm using the money for a long awaited vacation. You'd be surprised how fast change adds up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't play this week, but I do love your 'take' on the theme and your wonderful reminder ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Nickels seem to be the same size as a quarter and without my glasses, I can't tell them apart.

    Your idea is a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.