Friday, October 10, 2008

I can still blush

Last night I had a lovely dinner and a few drinks with my friend, John. I took the 9:40 commuter train home (it's safer than the el at that hour) and decided to occupy myself during the ride with American Wife. During a graphic sex scene, a younger woman took the seat beside me.

"Good book?" she asked.

"Huh? What? Yes, thanks," I said, feeling my cheeks turn scarlet.

The book is a fictionalized account of a certain First Lady, one who went from being a small town librarian to marrying the son of a wealthy, well-connected political family. Since I don't think of that woman as being highly sexual, I just didn't expect that passage. So I reacted the way a junior highschool boy would when his mom finds Playboy under his mattress.

To make it worse, my seatmate showed me her book. It was about the woman who played the role of muse for some painter I never heard of.

Ok, so I'm lower brow. But I bet my book ends up being more fun.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:47 AM

    Was the book the other woman reading "The Girl With the Pearl Earring"? That was actually a very good book...

    I saw the Sittenfeld book last night at B&N. I read her other two books and thought they were okay so I was a bit curious. I think I might skip it though!

    www.silverneurotic.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.