Friday, August 01, 2008

DAY 1 -- August 08 Happiness Challenge

It's August, and that means it's time to see if this Old Gal is up to the challenge -- to share something that brings me JOY each day this month.

Today it's the local book sale. It's the library's major fundraiser, and quite an event. People line up around the block to get in and check out all the books. It's been going on for 38 summers, and while I haven't been here that long, I've been doing this long enough that I have my own personal traditions to observe:

First, I support the public library by making donations from my own personal library. Dropped it off earlier this week.

Second, I fill up a bag o'books at the sale. $6 got me 7 books. Mostly chick lit, a Lisa Scottoline mystery, and Lord of the Flies, which I haven't read in decades and am curious to see if I'll enjoy it on the reread.

Third, I examine the tables to see which once-popular book my village is now so over. Last year it was The Nanny Diaries. This year, the winner of this dubious distinction is … (drum roll, please) … The Da Vinci Code! Congratulations, Dan Brown!

Finally, I stop at Tasty Dog on the way home and pick up a value meal. I'm dining on my fries right now.

It's a happy way to start August.

Hats off to Mo for introducing me to the challenge last year.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great way to start out a new month! Happy August! I personally enjoyed the Nanny Diaries and The Devil Wears Prada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would have forgotten this wonderful challenge... I'll start a day late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great challenge! You are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. I'm going to give it a try.

    Library book sales are great!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.