Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Unexpectedly melancholy

This morning, for the first time, I left my condo without passing the venerable old elm tree in the parkway out front.

I knew it was coming down. We got notice over the holiday weekend that the village discovered Dutch Elm Disease and was removing it. I didn't think I cared. After all, it's not visible from my condo unit and the tree that amuses the cats and provides shade to my livingroom remains strong and healthy.

Only this morning, I did care. A lot. Turns out I will miss that mighty old tree, after all.

1 comment:

  1. ohhhh, I know exactly what you mean! We had a beautiful old Ash in front of the house since my parents bought it in 1960, but it had to be cut down 2 years ago, as it had gotten VERY top heavy. I still miss the weeping willow that was in the backyard, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.