Sunday, July 06, 2008

But I want them to!


Look at them. Olivia and Elliott. Benson and Stabler. Hard at work on the other side of the yellow tape. Two dedicated New York city detectives investigating heinous, sexually-based offenses for the Special Victims Unit. But much to my chagrin, the brave cops who form the foundation of Law & Order: SVU will never be rewarded with romance.

That pisses me off because I believe they are in love. Watching today's USA SVU marathon confirms it for me. Sure, I sense sexual chemistry between them (I especially feel it when El loses the jacket and rolls up his sleeves; those arms lead to strong shoulders and a firm, hairy chest, I just know it). But it goes beyond the heat these two generate. They understand one another in a way no one else could because no one else has seen what they have seen. They share a passion and compassion for crime victims. Olivia, because she was born of rape. Elliott, because he's a good father who can imagine the anguish survivors feel.

Oh, I know … they will never act on all this affection and passion. Elliott would never cheat on Kathy and Olivia wouldn't want him to, anyway. Liv and El's lives have become so intertwined that Olivia found herself caring for Elliott's pregnant wife after a car accident, and was there for the birth of their youngest son. Besides, if Olivia and Elliot slept together, they couldn't work together anymore, and they are each other's perfect partner.

Even more relevant, they saw what happened to Moonlighting after Dave and Maddie did it.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:10 PM

    And if they did sleep together, I think they would lose that sexual tension that they have towards each other-and that's what makes the show so dang watchable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:51 PM

    I say let them be together, JUST ONCE..I don't want them to admit their undying love for each other, get married, white picket fence and all that...I just want to see these two hot, beautiful people together in a physical way. I tell you what, it would be TV History.

    I love when people compare any "will they or won't they" couple to David and Maddie, because they were the ultimate pairing, wern't they? The only problem with the Moonlighting theory is that it was doomed from the start with Cybil's pregnancy, Bruce's need to do other things. If done right those two could have burned hot and heavy for a long time. I still get a smile to my face when I see them together, that has to mean something.

    For Elliot and Olivia, I will feel somewhat cheated, if they don't give us viewers at least one moment of "truth" between these two before it's all over. I can't stand it when people say they are like brother and sister, obviously they have never seen Fault or Fat. I have never looked at my brother like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your theory... especially that the Moonlighting curse would ruin the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:53 PM

    Elliot and Liv - gotta love 'em. I do remember Dani Beck - even tho she was only Elliot's partner for a short time. They had one romatic scene - and instead of betraying Kathy, I felt like he had betrayed Liv. Maybe, if and when SVU runs its course, they will give us what we want!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:55 PM

    The comment re: Dani Beck was from me - Snowbird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love olivia and Eliott!!! I love this show, it's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.