Sunday, June 29, 2008

Look at That Girl Now


I'm watching a Law & Order: SVU repeat on USA and am impressed by Marlo Thomas. In the episode "Poison," she's Mary Clark, once a judge, now a high-powered Manhattan defense attorney. Yes, she looks terrific for a woman of about 70, but that's not what impresses me. A skillful surgeon and his knife just might deserve the credit for that. No, it's her performance.

The madcap, optimistic, super-trendy and aspiring (if never quite successful) actress of That Girl is a crisp, efficient realist who is tailored in both dress and manner. She uses her familiar alto voice to great advantage here. But instead of, "Don-ald …" or "Dad-dy …," she mutters admiringly, "Well, I'll give you this: you've got balls."

I guess this just goes to remind me that stars are actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.