Monday, February 11, 2008

Give Me 5 Monday #4 -- Job Hunting


The 'Give Me Five' Monday meme is designed to share fun information with each other in a simple short list! Here's how it works. Each week, Becca chooses a random topic and you share 5 answers of your choice on the given topic and link back here

5 Hints, Tips, Tricks or Advice Related to 
Succeeding in the Great Job Hunt

1) Don't lie. Don't even "embellish." First of all, you wouldn't want the person on the other side of the desk to lie about or embellish the pay or benefits you're being offered, so it's simply wrong to be less than truthful about what you bring to the job. Secondly, it's a smaller world than we realize, and you could very easily get caught.


2) But don't sell yourself short, either. Think about everything you have done well at your current job or in previous positions. Then include it in your resume. If you're being truthful about your accomplishments, you aren't bragging, you're helping a prospective employer choose the right candidate for the job.


3) Say "References Available Upon Request" at the bottom of your rez, and then be sure to bring your references along to the interview. It's impressive to be able to hand them across the desk to the interviewer right then and there if you're asked.


4) If possible, include both bosses and coworkers as references. Employers often like to see that you got along well with your comrades, as well as with your bosses.

5) Ask for business cards from everyone you interview with. That way you can make 100% sure you get their names and titles correct for your thank you notes.

Good luck, Job Hunters!


5 comments:

  1. Hey, these are really great pieces of advice! I love the handing them something, it shows you hand things in :) and be careful not to embellish too much but don't sell myself short. I don't think I would have thought to ask for a business card before! That's great, but whoa, whoa, whoa...what do you mean 'thank you notes'??? Now I have to do that too!?! Interesting....great list this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten about #5. I got so few of them when I was doing HR. Very well done. Have a great GM5. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome tips!!! I too forgot about #5, and that is really important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you notes. That's true! I haven't seen anyone mention that yet. And, not embellishing - great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:07 AM

    Very interesting but... I have lost count of the number of people who interviewed me who were selective with the truth, or even out and out lied, about the positions in question, the pay, hours, duties, benefits etc. I found that if I asked a direct question and they were evasive in their answer, the best thing to do was get u and walk out.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.