Saturday, January 26, 2008

But I don't wanna!

Every year at this time -- like a swallow mindlessly returning to Capistrano -- The Gal Herself returns to the movie theater to see as many Oscar-nominated movies as possible. Of the 5 Best Picture nominees, I've seen Michael Clayton, Juno and now, today, Atonement.

That leaves No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood. I don't really want to see either of them.

I'm sure they're both terrific movies. But the imdb.com plot summary for Old Men says, "Violence and mayhem ensue after a hunter stumbles upon some dead bodies, a stash of heroin and more than $2 million in cash near the Rio Grande." Didn't Sweeney Todd deliver all the violence and dead bodies I need for a while? There Will Be Blood is an epic tale "about family, greed, religion, and oil, centered around a turn-of-the-century prospector in the early days of the business." That's not gripping me, either.

Which is not to say I won't see those two movies after all. When it comes to the Oscars, I have no mind of my own.

3 comments:

  1. Do NOT go see the No Country for Men one.....my husband forced me to go to it and I HATED it. It was just WAY TOO violent for me. I'm talking up close, in your face, violence, like every single second of the movie. I felt like hanging out at the refreshment stand for the night. My husband, on the other hand, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:30 PM

    I haven't seen any of these yet! I used to be the one who religiously saw every movie up for all the big categories. I was obsessed and one year, I was able to catch every foreign film nominated. But now I live in the sticks and seems like I never get to the movies. (hear the sobbing sounds?)

    However, I read NCFOM and I can't wait to see it. I adore the Coen bros, too.

    I'm so behind, I haven't even printed out the list of movies I should try to get to!

    I love the Oscars...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend saw No Country for Old Men and he thought it was great...

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.