Wednesday, October 31, 2007

It's Halloween, so naturally I scare people


One of the weirder aspects of my emotionally-charged relationship with my iPod is that when it's on "shuffle," I'm often surprised and delighted by the songs it plays. This is dopey because I downloaded every last damn song on the thing. All 1,711 of them. I should know what's on there, and if I want to hear something I should be able to just click on it. But if I was that aware and organized, I guess, I'd be someone else entirely.

Anyway, this morning the song I was thrilled to rediscover through my headphones was "You Make It So Hard (to Say No)" by Boz Scaggs. I LOVE THAT SONG! (Perhaps that's why I downloaded it.) As I was crossing Michigan and Randolph, I heard my favorite lines:

You know I tried to get you out of my mind
But now I'm to the point I find
I just can't leave and not have kissed you
You know I could never resist you

The pedestrians crossing beside me were eyeing me. This seldom happens. If you make eye contact with someone downtown, then you may end up talking to them, and no good will come of that. It may be a former lover's best friend, or someone you interviewed for a job but didn't hire, etc. Everyone knows that. So why were these people looking at me?

Uh-oh. I touched my vocal chords and realized I was singing. Perhaps loudly. Certainly tunelessly.

I wish I'd recovered from my humiliation quickly enough to stare back and yell, "BOO!" But I didn't. I just hunched my shoulders and walked faster.

I still really love that song, though.

2 comments:

  1. LOL!

    I've done that. Been minding my own business, content with my iPod until I notice strangers eyeing me strangely and realize I'm singing David Allen Coe a cappella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:02 PM

    At least you have an ipod as an excuse. I was apparently singing out loud at work once, because a customer said to me, "Don't quit your day job." And I don't even OWN an ipod.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.