Monday, September 17, 2007

Sad, sad, sad

This much is not in dispute: OJ Simpson and four other men went into a Las Vegas hotel room and walked out with memorabilia. Some of it was related to the Juice, some to Joe Montana and some to as yet unnamed baseball players.

Simpson maintains, though, that this was not a "robbery." He insists he wasn't aware that anyone in his party was armed. He only went to the room to get what had originally been stolen from him, most notably the suit he was wearing when pronounced "not guilty" of the murders of his children's mother (as those children slept upstairs) and a young waiter he'd never even met before. This incident in Las Vegas was a business deal gone wrong, according to Simpson. No big deal. It does strain credulity, though, that it took 5 men and 2 guns to simply, peacefully retrieve a suit.

This football hero's life has become trashy, tawdry and pathetic. Once a Heisman winner and a 3-time NFL player of the year, he now is just ridiculous.

I hope that this goes away before Simpson can selfishly exploit and exacerbate the racial divide in the country. I fear I'm wrong.

4 comments:

  1. And, who will publish "I wasn't stealing, but if I *were* to rob the place, this is how I'd do it".

    Sad....the whole sorry thing is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's people like OJ who exacerbate the racial divide in America. It's people who wish to see black and white, people who want organizations for black people, people who'd say it's racist to have an organization for only white people, and it's the press, the media, because they want ratings. Plain & simple. They are the same people who are bringing this new OJ story to the forefront of what passes as news to major media outlets. I yawn when the story is mentioned, okay, not literally, but I think it and my finger quickly changes the channel because this is not important news -- even though we're being told it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. personally i really like his mug shot/booking photo... i don't know too many people who smile for those things!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT is sad. It's even more sad the media attention it robs from truly newsworthy stories. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.