Thursday, August 23, 2007

August Happiness -- Thursday 23

My cats are dry and safe. It's been storming like crazy here and, for the first time in decades, the areas close to the city were under a tornado warning. At work they herded us into the hallway and away from windows. We were all quite jocular about it -- like kids during a fire drill -- but my heart wasn't in it. I wanted to get home. I live on the top floor and the trees that touch my windows, the ones the cats usually enjoy because of the birds and squirrels, suddenly seemed dangerous. As I walked the three blocks from the el station to my building, I noticed all the tree limbs in the street. The trees in front of my building lost a lot of big, thick branches, but they looked fine. As I rode up in the elevator, my heart was beating like crazy. I wouldn't be able to relax until I did a head count.

I'm happy, happy, HAPPY to report all three of my furry roommates are safe and, as of this stormy moment, two are fine. Joe, my enormous gray and white tom, hates storms. They're one of the few things that scare my normally brave boy. Because he's so big, it's hard for him to find good places to hide at times like this. As I write, my massive fellow is huddled under an old dresser in my walk-in closet. I explained that the tornado warning is over, but he only trusts his own ears and feline sonar.

On nights like this, I'm happy I was able to adopt these three, but sorry I can't give a home to three more.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you are all safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we always knew when a big snowstorm was coming because Kittie would get so so snuggly. The two new ones have not shown there weather predicting skillz yet. I am glad all is well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:46 PM

    awww sorry you are all in the middle of a storm, but really happy that you and the three fur babies are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...poor 'ol Joe. I hope the sun is out for you guys today, and that Joe can come out from under the dresser!

    (mine pushed out the window screen this morning, and I had to give chase at 6:30am in my pj's!!! Its a good dang thing we luv 'em so...)

    Give em all a big pat on their furry heads...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome feast!! Happy FF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sending the good wishes my way, everyone. Joey was fine this morning, sprawled out on the carpet where the sun would be in the morning, if we had sunshine. He's sweet as can be, but blissfully has a tiny brain and a shorter memory and has probably forgotten last night already.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.