Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A portrait in isolation

This is a great photo of how I feel: completely isolated, a tad irrelevant, and yet still trying to hold my own against the elements.

It's now been two solid weeks since I've spoken to my best friend. We have exchanged about one short, jokey email a day since he's been swamped with this project, but that's not enough. Not for me.

He's in Los Angeles this week, entertaining clients and market researchers around the clock. I know this isn't his fault, and I know he's not having fun, but that doesn't make me feel any less isolated and irrelevant.

I know I have friends who care about me. I know my mother is always at the other end of the telephone line. In this regard I'm fortunate. I realize it and I appreciate it.

But no one gets me the way he does. And when I can't check in with him, it all starts to shut down a little. Oh well, just as the lighthouse has successfully weathered decades of storms, I can get through this. Nothin' to it …

3 comments:

  1. come back to the shore then toots. Or, just dont drown, that would be bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:00 PM

    What a beautiful picture -- I love lighthouses, perhaps because all my life I've felt rather like a lone wolf (oops, mixing my metaphors, but oh well).

    Hang in there -- I sometimes go through periods where I feel irrelevant, too. Not fun. But I think that comes, for both you and me, of being women who have chosen a different path in life, a "road not taken."

    The good thing about being strong women is that we can stand strong against whatever elements we must face. And the sun always comes out again, and the storms settle down to a gentle breeze.

    Take care, and Marilyn sends big purrs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Sparky. Sometimes you're such a sweet duck. Thank you.

    Thomma Lyn, thanks for the lovely "hang in there." You, me and the lighthouse -- we three may be stronger than we look, huh? And thank Marilyn for her healing purrs.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.