Sunday, July 22, 2007

For those of you who wonder what I look like ...

HERE I AM! Can't tell you how much my hats annoy people on the el at rush hour.

Okay, okay … maybe that's not an accurate physical representation of This Old Gal. But Streisand in Hello, Dolly! does provide a creditable reflection of my personality.

Because I am politically left of center, rather verbal, always right about everything and come home every night, hoping to find a hot blond sailor boy nude in my bed, there are those who believe Streisand in The Way We Were is more accurate. But that's only because they aren't familiar with Dolly Levi.

Like Dolly, I have control issues. Few things bother me, perplex and distract me more than a problem I can't resolve, a relationship I can't fix, a puzzle I can't solve. So when my friends and family are navigating rough waters (as they all seem to be doing these days), and I can't make it all better, I go slowly crazy. Because (cue the band) …

"I have always been a woman who arranges things,
for the pleasure--and the profit--it derives.
I have always been a woman who arranges things,
like furniture and daffodils and lives.

If you want your sister courted, brother wed, or cheese imported,
Just leave everything to me.
If you want your roof inspected, eyebrows tweezed, or bills collected,
Just leave everything to me.
If you want your daughter dated, or some marriage consummated,
for a rather modest fee.
If you want a husband spotted, boyfriend traced, or chicken potted,
I'll arrange for making all arrangements
Just leave everything to me.

I'll discretely use my own discretion
I'll arrange for making all arrangements
I'll proceed to plan the whole procedure
Just leave everything to me!"

Lyrics by Jerry Herman

4 comments:

  1. well, I can certainly picture you in some sort of hat. And yes, you are one of those empathetic people where life can get stick because of everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In summary, if I ask you a question I am going to get an answer rather than some vague response, right?

    We are similar in a few ways!

    Hello dolly was a fun movie, not to many movies made like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks Sparky. Though there are many out there who feel that "bossy" is more fitting than "empathetic."

    And yes, Jenny, I suspect we do share our common traits. I was completely freaked out by your reluctance to speak as a wee one, since I was the same. And we have both been makingup for lost time, haven't we? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the music and dancing from Hello Dolly! Lovely classic! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.