Thursday, May 17, 2007

If only I knew then ...

Just got done watching the end of Disney's The Kid (2000). In this movie, Bruce Willis spends his 40th birthday with his 8 year old self. (It has something to do with a full moon and … oh, hell, how he and his 8 year old self can be in the same place at the same time isn't really important just now.)

The sweetest thing about this movie is watching the adult hug, advise and comfort the child. School bullies, a distant father, a 3-legged dog and a tragedy that shattered the boy also left the man with an annoying tic and some less visible emotional scars. By going through it all again, but this time with the support of an adult who not only knows exactly how it feels, but who also knows this agony will pass, helps heal their future.

So naturally it got me wondering: how would I help myself? What would Today's Adult Gal tell Yesterday's Little Girl? What would we talk about if I got into the Wayback Machine and met up with my younger self, in the mid 1960s?

Your dad makes everyone unhappy because he's so unhappy himself.
It's not you! He's not just mad at you, he's mad at every single thing in his whole life. Unfortunately it's only going to get worse between the two of you. But don't avoid him -- watch him. He's teaching you what not to be as an adult. He judges himself by how much money, how much stuff he has, instead of measuring his self-worth by the people in his life.

Your uncle will come home. He's in the jungles of Viet Nam and watching the news scares you. You're afraid he will be shot or burned, but he won't be. When he finally comes home, he will give you a little teal bracelet that he bought when he was on leave in Saigon. You're gonna love that bracelet and will hang on to it for decades to come.

Treasure every moment with Grandpa. He loves you very much and has so much to teach you. Yes, he can seem a little corny at times. But when you look back on your time with him -- which will be all-too brief -- that old-fashioned silliness is one of the things you will remember and love the most. And his voice and how he smells of cigars when he hugs you.


Don't worry so much about Tommy!
He won't get out again! It just happened that once and you caught him before he even got to the gate. Please relax about your big white tomcat. Yes, you love him more than anything, but Mom knows how to take care of him and he's going to live a very long, very happy life.

Your older sister is a bitch, always will be. It's too bad that you two will never be close. But that's OK. You know that curly-haired girl who just moved in across the alley? She's going to end up being your friend for life, and more of a sister to you than your sister ever could be.

Don't pin your hopes on the 1969 World Series!
I can't bear to tell you what's going to happen because it's going to break your heart.

3 comments:

  1. Now, that one about grampa brought tears to my eyes!

    But, what a grand idea, advising one's younger self! My problem is that I'm not so sure I'm any wiser now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!

    I remember seeing a book a year or so ago, that had letters written as if we were teens again. i'm probably not explaining myself very well.
    must get more coffee. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would tell my younger yourself to relax and have fun. Plus there would be people that I wouldn't have spent time worrying about our friendship b/c now I realize that they didn't care enough. Oh, and I would have told my brother to quit smoking.

    Great topic, very well-written.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.