Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My 2¢ worth re: Sanjaya

I know that Howard Stern is backing him, and that there's some website that originates right here in the Chicagoland area that encourages the audience to vote for Sanjaya simply because he's the worst of the Idol finalists. But I don't believe either of these shenanigans explain why he survives week after week.

It's the little girls like Ashley. I should know. I was one of them. I spent money and emotion on an androgynous boy-singer I saw on TV and in the pages of 16 and Fave.

No, not Paul McCartney. Sir Paul was a teen dream, for sure, but he's also a bona fide genius whose music changed the world.

The same cannot be said for Bobby Sherman. Yet I loved Bobby Sherman the same way Ashley loves Sanjaya. And there are no doubt thousands of Ashleys all over America who squeal and cry when he sings, and then text and call and vote for the Idol of their dreams.

This is not a new phenomenon. Have you ever heard Paul Petersen sing? Fabian? James Darren? David Cassidy's blond and adorable but completely non-musical brother, Shaun? Certainly Sanjaya isn't worse than any of those singers. And after hearing his "Besame Mucho" last night, I venture that he might be a better singer than at least Fabian.

While I know ultimately he won't be this year's American Idol (I'm now leaning toward Jordin), I hope he lasts another few weeks. For Ashley's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.