Friday, September 08, 2023

Saturday 9


 Cheeseburger in Paradise (1978)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here. (This is my favorite Buffett song, quintessential Jimmy.)

1) In this song, Jimmy briefly attempts a healthier diet, which included sunflower seeds, carrot juice, zucchini and bulgur wheat. Do you pay attention to your daily consumption of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, etc.? I have a history of gut trouble, so I try to make more fiber-wise choices. I also have to look out for oxalate content because of my predispositition to kidney stones. As an old broad, I just can't eat like I did in my 20s.

2) Jimmy sings that he'd like french fries with his burger. Do you prefer to dip your fries or drizzle the ketchup over them? I dip.

3) Which cheese would make yours a cheeseburger in paradise: American, cheddar, Swiss, bleu, Muenster, or Monterrey Jack? I like the visual of yellow cheese on my burger, so I'll have cheddar or American, please.
 
4) Buffett fans call themselves Parrotheads. Concert attire for a well-dressed Parrothead often includes a Hawaiian shirt and a foam fin hat. What will you be wearing tonight? I'm doing this Friday night, but I can predict what I'll be wearing Saturday night: my pjs. I've got a busy week coming up and am keeping my Saturday and Sunday clear for chores and lazing about.
 
5) For someone with such an easygoing and laidback vibe, Jimmy is a very busy man. His business ventures include liquors, restaurants and hotels. He's also published eight books. All this in addition to making music! On a scale of 1 to 10 -- with 1 being lazy and 10 being highly motivated -- how would you rate yourself this morning? 1. But that's only because I don't think the scale registers negative numbers. I'm a slug.
 
6) Jimmy has some very famous fans. Paul McCartney asked him to play at one of his parties, and Barack Obama invited him to perform at a fundraiser. If you could invite anyone -- anyone at all! -- to play at your party, who would you ask? Sir Paul would be nice, certainly. Strumming and singing and telling stories. Sigh. That would be a dream come true for me.

7) Jimmy was born on Christmas Day. Does your birthday fall on a major holiday? If yes, do you mind "sharing" your special day? My birthday often falls on Thanksgiving. When I was a kid and through my 20s, I hated it. But now it just seems convenient.

8) In 1978, the year this song was popular, the Susan B. Anthony Dollar was first minted. The initial design was not a hit with the public because vending machines could not accept it. What's the last thing you bought from a vending machine? I used a $20 in the self-pay kiosk at Target. I had to wait forever for the machine to spit out my $12.22 in change. I don't think many customers use cash in those kiosks ... and now I know why.

9) Random question -- If today's your birthday, your zodiac sign is Virgo. When did you last check your horoscope? I used to check it every morning on the train as I read the paper while riding the rails to work. But now that I'm retired, I don't check it all anymore.


6 comments:

  1. So the whole country gives thanks on your birthday? That's gotta feel good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4...that is how I try to spend every weekend. I have to recharge.
    Maybe it was you that has the same birthday as my mom. I knew someone I blog with did. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 … you and me both. I have to be very careful.

    And you can’t have Sir Paul until I’m done with him …

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you deserve Sir Paul, myself. I have never tried to use cash in the self-checkouts (which I despise). Didn't think of them as vending machines, either, but I guess they are. I avoid them when possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggled to choose an artist for my party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter has a lot of gut issues and should watch her diet more than she does. We were just at the ER again today (why I'm so late getting around). She had a bad reaction to a medication about a month ago and apparently it really did a number on her. She full of poop. She came home with a colonoscopy prep kit to get herself flushed out and orders to see her gastroenterologist. I hope this teaches her to be better about her diet...even though it was the med that put her over the edge.

    By the way, I wish I had a way to share the video she posted on Facebook of Jasper. He is sprawled on the coffee table daintily tapping a pumpkin and then wham...off the table it goes and he hangs his head down and looks like "how'd that happen?" She said he'd knocked a bunch of other things down before that. lol

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.