Wednesday, August 02, 2023

Thursday Thirteen #320

The Way We Were. 50 years ago, live broadcast TV was the primary way we got our entertainment. There were only three networks (CBS, NBC and ABC), maybe PBS and a local syndicated station if you were in a more populous area or you had a really good antenna on the roof. No cable channels and no way to video record. You watched your favorite show when it was shown and if you missed an episode, you waited months for the rerun. 

And you had a TV book. Either you kept the one that came free in your Sunday newspaper or you bought/subscribed to TV Guide. Here are 13 covers from 1973. I instantly recognized these people/shows. How many are familiar to you?

#1. Here's Mary Richards with her two best friends, Georgette and Rhoda.





















#2. Now an Oscar winner, Goldie Hawn returns to TV with a variety special.





















#3. A sitcom set in Chicago! Dr. Bob Hartley was a Cub fan, as Bob Newhart is in real life.




















#4. The gang from the M*A*S*H 4077th.




















#5. Sanford and Son. I never could stand Redd Foxx so I didn't watch this show. But I know the theme song. I'd hear the first bars as I raced across the room to change the channel. (No remotes in those days, either.)




















#6. Lucille Ball and Desi, Jr. Lucy was the first woman to appear on TV visibly pregnant; 20 years later that baby co-starred with her on Here's Lucy.



















#7. The Waltons. This multigenerational family drama was set in The Depression.




















#8. Columbo. I didn't watch this when it was first broadcast but I've seen every episode on cable and am a fan.




















#9. Kung Fu. I didn't watch this, either, but I knew about it because all the boys in my class loved it and my PE teacher would call us "Grasshopper."




















10. Dick Cavett. Johnny Carson was the undisputed King of Late Night, but I had a crush on Cavett. 




















11. Sonny & Cher. We all tuned in to see what Cher was wearing. 



















12. Telly Savalas as Kojak. Who loves ya, baby?



















13. Hee Haw. Never watched this and remain convinced I didn't miss much.


















Please join us for THURSDAY THIRTEEN. Click here to play along, and to see other interesting compilations of 13 things.



5 comments:

  1. I had a pair of Hee Haw overalls that were the height of bell-bottom fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only received one channel at home - ABC - for most of my early years. I think we were able to get CBS by 1976. My grandparents received CBS, NBC, ABC & PBS, so when we spent the weekends there we saw more shows. Hee Haw was quite popular here and is still referenced today. I have seen most of these shows but none of them were shows I watched as "must see TV" except MASH, I saw it all only in reruns when we finally got a satellite dish. I've only seen a few episodes of Bob Newhart but watched all of his other show that followed, the one set in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, we subscribed to TV Guide. I loved flipping through it. I've seen some of those shows, but not in 1973. (I was 2. I don't remember what I watched then, but mostly it was the stuff my parents put on.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up in the northeast, we had the 3 channels + PBS. My father was a fan of MASH, Bob Newhart Show & Sanford and Son. I was young but parents didn't treat us like babies. Worried how we would react to adult shows. PBS was on most of the time. TV Guide was nice since you could see what was on & what the show/movie was about. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive list!
    I only know actors from your list, from films they made. About 13.....hee haw. I think that both of us didn't miss much. lol
    We didn't watch Network TV except for a couple of sit coms here and there. But I also liked the Dick Cavett show and would watch it when DH worked the evening shift.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.