Saturday, July 01, 2023

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Over There (1942)
... because it's 4th of July 


Unfamiliar with this rendition? Hear it here.

1) George M. Cohan wrote this song in 1917, inspired by our country's entry into WWI. It was not only popular with the young men who enlisted, it was reassuring to their families. Tell us about a time when music was a comfort to you. It was November 2004. I had worked very, very hard as a volunteer on John Kerry's Presidential campaign and let's just say it didn't turn out as I'd hoped. My much-loved cat Billy had just died. I was as sad as I thought I could possibly be. I was racing to Walgreen's to buy a birthday card for my nephew's 3rd birthday. I didn't want to go to his party, but he wouldn't have understood my not being there. Anyway, as I ran across the busy street, I got honked at and remember thinking, "Hit me. Go ahead. I don't give a shit." Then this song came through my headphones and suddenly, at least for 3:36, I was happy.



2) "Over There" was revived at the start of WWII, and President Franklin Roosevelt cited this song specifically when he awarded Cohan with the Congressional Gold Medal. What's your favorite patriotic song? America the Beautiful. I especially love the verse we sing in church: "Oh beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife, who more than self their country loved and mercy more than life." I would like America to live up to this. I want to believe our heroes died for a merciful, more inclusive nation (despite the disheartening anti-LGBT backlash this past month).

3) This rendition of the song is from the 1942 film, Yankee Doodle Dandy. James Cagney won an Oscar for his performance as George M. Cohan. Also nominated that year was Gary Cooper, who portrayed a different Yankee, Lou Gehrig, in Pride of the Yankees. Tell us about a movie biography you have enjoyed. If it wasn't for Funny Girl, I wonder if the name "Fanny Brice" would mean anything to anyone anymore.



4) Cagney had a rebellious streak. His boss, studio head Jack Warner, nicknamed Cagney, "The Professional Againster." Cagney joked that he was proud of the title. How about you? Are you rebellious? Let's just say I have a very sensitive bullshit detector.

5) In the clip linked above, a woman sings with Cagney. Her name was Frances Langford, nicknamed the "GI Nightingale" because during WWII she performed for the troops at bases throughout Europe, North Africa and the South Pacific. Do you have any nicknames? Not anymore. When I was little, my dad called me "Mouse."

6) In 1942, when audiences were enjoying this performance of "Over There" in movie theaters, the fashion trend was for mothers and their young daughters to wear identical dresses. Moms would buy lots of fabric and patterns for the same casual day dress in both their own sizes and their little girls'. Can you sew? I can hem and mend and replace buttons.

7) The Fourth of July means we're in the middle of summer. Are you careful about applying sunscreen? Of course. I'm fair skinned and must be careful. 

8) Mosquito bites an be a major summer annoyance. Are you scratching any itches right now? Nope. 

9) Celebrity chef Rachael Ray says she considers mini-hamburgers, or "sliders," the All-American food. What will you be eating this 4th of July? I'm grilling salmon filets, and looking forward to it thoroughly.


4 comments:

  1. It's always fun to read your answers. I sewed my own wedding dress (with the help of a sewing teacher) and I also made and donated 360 cloth masks during Covid when no one could get masks in the early days. Mostly, my sewing, like you is limited to mending and sewing buttons back on. I also love that verse of America the Beautiful. I think the song that gives me most comfort at this point in my life is Amazing Grace. I hope you have a nice weekend and a good July 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 4th of July!
    #2 Sadly I think we are moving the other way.
    #6 That’s about my skill level.
    #8 No-see-ums have been biting me at night as they come through the screens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, Funny Girl! Losing a pet is so hard! Cute that your dad called you Mouse.♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy those fillets!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.