Friday, May 14, 2021

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Don't Get Around Much Anymore (1942)

Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, our lonely Romeo shares how he amuses himself these days. Which of the activities that he mentions have you most recently enjoyed: playing solitaire, reading a book, or listening to the radio? I just listened to the last innings of the Cub game on the radio.
 

 
2) The lead singer is tenor Bill Kenny. Which range is your voice: soprano, alto, tenor or bass? When I was in junior high, they put me in the with the altos because that's where I could do the least damage.

3) When Bill was on vacation in Atlantic City, he entered a series of talent contests and won 21 of 22. This led to his first professional booking. Tell us about a vacation of yours that took an unexpected turn. Shortly after I broke up with my boyfriend, I went away to California with my friend, Mindy. After three days in Disneyland we went to stay with a friend of hers in San Francisco. When Mindy knew him, he was married. Now he was divorced. He and I hit it off ... big time. It's the only vacation romance I ever had. Once I got home, my boyfriend and I reconciled, and Mr. California got on with his life, too. But it's a sweet, sexy memory.

4) This song was composed by Duke Ellington. He received many honors, including a coin struck in his honor. In 2009, he graced the District of Columbia's commemorative quarter. Do you save coins in a jar or piggy bank? I keep quarters for laundry in a heavy beer mug, and pennies in a piggy bank.

5) In 1976, Stevie Wonder recorded a tribute to Ellington called "Sir Duke." What's your favorite Stevie Wonder song?

 
 
6) The lyrics were written by Bob Russell. When he began his career, he shared an apartment with future novelist and TV screenwriter Sidney Sheldon. Have you ever tried your hand at writing lyrics, a novel or a screenplay? Every year I participate in Nanowrimo. I don't know how good my stories are, but it's fun.

7) In 1942, when this record was released, the federal government established a rationing system to conserve crucial supplies for our troops. Sugar was the first food to be rationed, followed by coffee and then meat. If you were around back then, which of those items do you think you'd miss the most? Can you imagine if we found ourselves in this situation today? Oh, the whining! I mean, if wearing a mask is too much for some of us, going without would be intolerable. FDR would probably be a puppet of the Deep State, and the Concentration Camps would be dismissed as Fake News.

8) Also in 1942, actor/singer Peter Tork was born. Without looking it up, do you know why Peter Tork was famous? Hey, hey! He was a Monkee!

9) Random question -- Have you ever deliberately lost a game? I admit that, when playing with children, I don't play to the best of my ability. But I've never thrown a game, either. Kids have to learn sportsmanship. 


 

9 comments:

  1. i finished a NANOWRIMO one year but my brain doesn't think in fiction and is much better in non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your California romance. Sounds like a treasured memory. Was that the last time you were at Disneyland?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried Nanowrimo but it's in November . . . and I have a husband, and that's so close to the holidays that I found it overwhelming. Only guys would set up a challenge like that so close to holidays, when there is so much other stuff that needs attention. Why not March, when nothing else is going on? (And I am sorry about Henry. I read your other blogs for the week. That's tragic, really.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your answer to #2.
    #3 answer is very interesting.
    I also like your answer to #9.
    Have a great weekend.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. #4 I keep quarters in my car for parking meters. Quarters fit perfectly in a prescription bottle.
    #6 Neat link, I have dozens of stories in me but I am lousy at dialog.
    #7 You are right, they would probably call Pearl Harbor fake news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Your answer to #2...I had a church choir director tell me I could "just move my lips" if I'd agree to be in the Easter cantata because he was trying to beef up the numbers. Hard no.
    I imagine there would be so much hoarding of those things there wouldn't be anything left to send to the troops. Can you believe the stupidity of the people actually pumping gas into grocery bags?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed your answer to #3! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet vacation memory, so wistful. I also hoard quarters, although the laundromat recently added card scanners on all machines--tap or swipe!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.