Friday, March 05, 2021

Love this, love this, love this.

One of the highlights of the 2019 Turner Classic Film Festival for me. So very happy that it's available online. All four of these people have such affection for the film and clearly know it frame-by-frame. It was wonderful hearing Gone with the Wind discussed with the clear-eyed respect it deserves.

The fuckheads who believe TCM, or any movie lover, wants to ban or censor problematic films (like GWTW and Breakfast at Tiffany's) should watch this. It's exciting to hear films we love discussed as both art and artifact. Things can be complicated. We can feel conflicted. It's OK to talk about it! Honest conversation won't hurt you!

 

PS I read Molly Haskell's From Reverence to Rape back when I was in high school and it rocked my world. It was a thrill to see her in person.
 

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with this. Complicated doesn't have to be a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.