Friday, December 11, 2020

Happier today

My oldest friend and I had a lovely conversation today. It's her birthday and even though she's sick, she was in very good spirits. I have not laughed this much in a very long time.

For her birthday I gave her a trio of facemasks. (I know, it was funnier before we both got sick.) One says "Merry Treksmas," because she loves Star Trek. The second is decorated with icons from the John Wick movies (which I know nothing about but she loves those, too). The third features the Beatles from the cover of the HELP! CD because, like all right-thinking people everywhere, we are Beatle fans. She referred to them as her "wardrobe" and is glad to have masks that reflect her many moods.

It was good to hear her laugh because it means her lungs are good. Like me, her corona virus seems to have settled in her gut. Her doctor is most worried about her fever and prescribed extra strength Tylenol. She still hasn't had the nasal swab, but I suppose it doesn't really matter. Her doctor believes she has it, is aware of all her symptoms, and is treating her accordingly. She's isolated herself. Her daughter is coming up to wave through the window and leave a birthday present on the stoop.

Today was the first day that the IL Department of Health didn't check on me. Five straight days with no fever and no new symptoms means I'm officially on the mend. I appreciate their vote of confidence. I am feeling better, but I am soooooo tired. And I miss food emotionally. I've been dreaming of beef! It used to be Mark Harmon, you know. Now it's a cheeseburger with condiments, a corndog, a slice of meat loaf ... 


2 comments:

  1. Well, Mark Harmon is a beefcake, so to speak. Maybe you could talk your subconscious self into dreaming of Mark grilling up a big juicy burger just for you? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're officially on the mend, albeit being tired. Rest as much as you can and listen to your body. Sending feel good vibes!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.