Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Where's Darius?

I'm worried about Darius, the lifer at Western Illinois Correctional Facility that I correspond with through my church's penpal program. It's been more than a month since I've heard from him.

Maybe he was moved to another facility. I've learned how often that happens.

Or maybe he got bored with writing to me. That would surprise, but not shock, me. At the beginning of our correspondence, he indicated that he hoped for in-person visits from me. I made it clear that I was committed to answering his every letter, but that was all.

Or maybe he's ill. I checked the stats, and 62 inmates have been confirmed to have the corona virus, and 49 have recovered. Does that mean the remaining 13 are dead? I don't know.

I understand, and agree, that Darius did something society can't forgive, and that prison is where he belongs. 

I also believe what the Book of Matthew tells us: "Whatever you did for the least of these brothers and sisters, you did for me."

So I hold Darius in my heart, and am grateful to him in a way. I'm not sure that, before I enrolled in this penpal program, I gave the incarcerated one moment's thought. I'm glad he taught me that my heart has room in it for them, too.


1 comment:

  1. What an interesting, thoughtful perspective--you've made me think about how I few those incarcerated people.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.