Friday, March 06, 2020

Achingly proud of him

My nephew worked hard for Elizabeth Warren. Though managing a full class load, he still spent his weekends driving three hours from his dorm to Iowa, canvassing, and then driving three hours back. He slogged through snow. He crashed over night in the homes of other volunteers he didn't even know. One night he even slept under a White Sox blanket!

For a while, she was at the top of the polls. Then the Iowa Caucus actually happened and her vote total was disappointing. Her momentum had vanished. She didn't even carry her own state on Super Tuesday, and dropped out.

My nephew is desolate. Of course. He's a true believer.

In a way, that makes me even more proud of him. He not only gave his time and gas money, he risked his heart.

He hasn't yet committed to Bernie. I know that's where he leans ideologically, but he seems to feel a little too bruised right now to do anything more than vote in the Illinois primary.

But he'll be back in the arena. I know he will.

My nephew is our future. We're lucky to have committed young people like him.






3 comments:

  1. Definitely a fine young man. You have every reason to be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this experience doesn't dampen future enthusiasm and passion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo to your nephew!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.