Sunday, January 14, 2018

Running the numbers

Because I wake up worrying about my job security, and my ability to find another position at age 60, I ran the numbers. Were I to be let go on February 15, I would get 13.5 weeks of severance. Combine that with my What If I Lose My Job? Fund, and I can live for 9 months without any money coming in. (I'm figuring my unemployment benefits will go to healthcare, which could be mega-expensive.)

I could probably stretch it a little further, because I pay my mortgage a few months in advance (just in case I have to skip a month).

After that, I'll have to turn to my retirement funds, which I do not want to do.

There are so many things I need to do in this condo, if I were to get a decent price for it. I must finish the bathroom. There's a problem with the windows. The carpet should be replaced. I guess that would all cost me about $20,000. I understand that the $20,000 could mean a $35,000 return at sale. I get that, but I have exactly $1,400 saved in my What If There's a Household Catastrophe? Fund.

My friend, John, reminds me that I am in better shape than some of our friends. This is true. But I don't have any friends/family to lean on. Kathy has been living with her daughter for years now. My oldest friend just moved in with her cousin. Me? I'm an island. (Though Reg and Henry have always, always assured me there's a room with them in Key West. I don't know what I'd do for a living down there, but it's a comfort nevertheless.)

Still, I'm scared. Must keep clinging to my OneWord.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.