Saturday, June 25, 2016

June Challenge -- Day 25

Click here to see what it's about
25. What are the 10 most significant events in your life?

The question isn't "good" or "bad." It's "significant." So here we go. Chronologically ...

1) Birth

2) Seeing the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. That Sunday evening gave me the soundtrack of my life, and helped cement my relationship with my favorite uncle.

3) Being abused. I discussed it a bit on Day 5 of the Challenge. I don't feel like rehashing it this morning.

4) Choosing to be an administrative assistant at Sears, rather than at Loyola Hospital. Working in Sears Tower not only fulfilled my youthful ambition to be downtown every day, it gave me a gateway into advertising.

5) Volunteering at Chicago's Anti-Cruelty Society. It gave the problems of animal overpopulation and abuse sweet little furry faces. It haunts but it galvanizes, too.

6) Falling in love, and choosing to stay in a toxic relationship. I wasted my 20s.

7) Leaving that relationship. At least I'm educable!

8) Joining my church. It's fulfilling, and it makes me a better person, to have a spiritual home where I genuinely belong.

9) Buying this condo. I was over 40, but it made me feel like I'd finally grown up.

10) John Kerry's 2004 Presidential Campaign. I dialed. I photocopied. I handwrote letters. I filed. I answered phones. I rallied. I did whatever was asked of me. I poured my time and money and heart and soul into it in support of a man I still completely admire. I learned a lot. I cried a lot. I did it for my country and I'm proud of it.* I also worked on Walter Mondale's, Bill Clinton's and Barack Obama's campaigns, but I really clocked the hours and made the commitment for Kerry.




*And it's why I have so little patience for rabid Sanders supporters whose dedication extends no further than preaching to the choir on social media. "Don't just do something, sit there." They'll never support Hillary? Big deal. What did they actually do for Bernie?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.