Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Rey, too.

Got the test results back yesterday. Reynaldo has the FIP titer, too. His level is much lower than Connie's, but it's there.

So many emotions! He is my baby, he is my responsibility, and I brought a disease into our home in the form of Connie. I did it unknowingly -- she was up on her vaccinations and so were Reynaldo and Joe -- but I did it all the same.

Yet Connie deserves a good life, doesn't she? Her early years were pretty brutal. She came to the shelter from the home of a hoarder. She was emaciated, with mushy gums and a chronic eye infection and a litter of stillborn kittens inside of her her. Today this sweet cat is solid around the middle, lively and chatty, trusting and affectionate. Rey and Joey and I made her feel welcome and safe here. I can't really regret that.

The vet spent a great deal of time with me on the phone Monday. I should take precautions but not overreact. Reynaldo is very healthy for an old (now age 12!) man and is more likely to die of his kidney problems than FIP. The FIP will likely complicate it, but not cause it, and there's no reason to believe we can even see that on the horizon yet.

Connie -- playful, loving Connie -- is also strong and healthy right now. Her levels are high enough that the FIP is likely to cause her problems. But not right now. If I just love her and enjoy her and keep her on the high qualify diet she currently snarfs down, it's not unreasonable to hope for 6 years with her. Maybe more.

And so that's what I'm going to try to do.




1 comment:

  1. Rey is living a good life with you. So is Connie. You're a wonderful cat mom.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.