Sunday, April 10, 2016

And there's still more

Our conversations are different now. They all seem to revolve around our health troubles.

So far, 2017 has been The Year of One Gal's Gut. Whenever my friends and I get together, my c. diff comes up.

Then there's John's ongoing creaks and aches and pains. He just can't move like he used to. He has trouble with ramps and stairs -- he gets winded going up and down is hard on his knees. In January, when we went to the Cubs Convention, we found ourselves sitting on the floor and he had a difficult time getting up.

Barb has cancer. Kathleen's and Ed's cancers are in remission. So is Ed's daughter's leukemia.

Today I just learned that my friend Mindy is putting her 85+ mother in hospice. Last month, Mindy's husband had an angioplasty.

My oldest friend continues to suffer from depression, and anxiety, and heart trouble. (Which reminds me: I have to call her.)

At 58, I'm the baby of my circle of friends. So all of this reminds me of Nora Ephron's quote about what happens when you turn 60 and your thoughts suddenly turn to mortality.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.