Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Damn you for being so cute!

There's an adorable little girl -- I'd guess her to be about 7 -- at my el stop each evening. She and her mother are selling wretched Otis Spunkmeyer cookies (packaged for vending machines, not fundraising) for $2 each.

This kid looks like my niece did at that age. Very serious, a little pudgy, less than perfect teeth, oozing sincerity.

I hate paying $2 for what I could buy for $1. I hate Otis Spunkmeyer cookies. I even hate their name.* Most of all, I hate that a little girl has to go out to work on a busy street corner with her mom after school.

I've only given in to those serious, bespectacled brown eyes once. So far. But let's face it, she's going to get more money out of me.


*Spunkmeyer? Really?

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this brand, but I probably would not be able to resist her, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always hard to resist little kids. I bought a hand-drawn greeting card from a 10-year-old at a farmer's market not long ago, for no other reason but because there was a kid selling them.
    So this little girl... if the packages are made for vending machines, is this something they're doing on their own... like, for survival reasons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you and bless them for trying to earn money...can you take them to the food pantry?

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little bit, stuck working after school. Otis Spunkmeyer cookies are barely meh, but it's worth it to help them get along.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.