Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Holidailies -- Day 17



Today's prompt: Elf on a Shelf - adorable childhood tradition, or creepy stalker?

I admit I had no idea how popular this fellow was until just recently, when he made the front page of the venerable Chicago Tribune! (The Trib usually saves the front page for serious stories, or Da Bears.)

I don't see how Elf on a Shelf is any creepier than Santa. I mean, he sees us when we're sleeping and knows when we're awake and knows if we've been bad or good. And he keeps a list! Not only that, he teaches us that the reason to be good is not that being good is right, it's that being good is rewarded with stuff.

I don't mean to be coming down on Santa. I'm a big fan of the big guy! I just don't see how Elf on a Shelf is fundamentally different than his boss.

2 comments:

  1. If my sisters and I did Elf on a Shelf for each other, it would be hilarious! I see a lot of fun "adult" stuff the elf has been up to. I would have loved this tradition when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was news for me, too, until my grandchildren came along. He must have snuck in during the too-brief period between my children being children and being parents.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.