Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sight seen

I don't drive -- never have -- so there's a whole aspect of life that I haven't experienced. Today's observation was a revelation.

As I was crossing Michigan and Randolph this morning, late as usual, I saw a woman stop traffic by getting out of her car. She wanted to see what she'd hit. It was a traffic cone, completely squashed, flat as a pancake. She dragged it out and tossed it on the median before getting back in her car and driving off.

At lunchtime, I crossed at the same spot. The cone was still on the median, but it had sprung back to its previous glory. It was dirty and tire-marked, but it was standing tall and proud.

Those suckers must be indestructible!


3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is pretty cool! I wonder if they are designed to do that so that the city doesn't have to keep buying new cones every ten minutes! It would be fun to somehow make a stop-motion video of the cone slowly coming back to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea! When I worked for a road construction company,it was one of the few things that we didn't have to replenish on a regular basis. I wonder if they're recyclable, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen that, either.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about adding Comment Moderation, folks. But look at the bright side, at least I've gotten rid of word verification!