Sunday, June 02, 2013

Well, Hell, Look at That!


Took public transportation back from my former hometown today. Lately I've been lazy and taking cabs to and fro when I go to the dentist or get my hair cut, but that's $38. And, as I've noted lately, my job feels tenuous again. So I did the train/bus combo back today and saved a few bucks.

In the 9 months since I took the route regularly, I noticed so many changes! The big one is that Costco is coming to the area. The warehouse for a major food supplier is gone. Rubble. And Costco will go up there. I've never set foot in a Costco so I don't know what to expect, or even if I care. It's that the warehouse went up when I was in high school and it was jarring to see a vacant lot and construction equipment in its place.

Also the big old "family dining" establishment across from the train station has expanded, taking over the dog groomer's space next door and turning it into their "event and party room" and adding a tacky neon strip to their age-old sign, heralding their selection of "liquor and cocktails." I'm not clear on the difference between liquor and cocktails, and they have been serving drinks there since before I was born, but I'm happy that they have been able to expand. This restaurant was opened in that very spot by a Greek-Czech immigrant couple decades ago and is still in the family, has employed generations of high school students and working moms.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:46 PM

    I get the same way when I go home to see my folks...it always seems that something new is in the works whenever I visit.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.