Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Thursday Thirteen #224



Doing the iPod Shuffle

I haven't done this in quite a while. But for this week's TT, I just put my iPod on shuffle and let it do all the work. The list is rather typical for a Boomer like me.

I admit I'm embarrassed by #1. ("Rock on with your bad self.")  But it was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Hearing it reminds me of my first airplane flight, to Florida to visit my uncle.

1) Rock the Boat. The Hues Corporation. 1974.



2) Roll Over, Beethoven. The Beatles. 1964.

3) Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves. Cher. 1971.

4) Wishin' and Hopin'. Dusty Springfield. 1964.

5) Million Dollar Bill. Whitney Houston. 2009.

Of all these songs, this one is most favorite:

6) The Heart of the Matter. Don Henley. 1984.



7) Nobody Does It Better. Carly Simon. 1977.

8) My Heart and Soul. Marcia Ball. 2010.

9) Someday, Someway. Marshall Crenshaw. 1982.

10) Folsom Prison Blues. Johnny Cash. 1955.

11) Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard. 1972.

12) Bright Side of the Road. Van Morrison. 1979.

Possibly the most obscure song on my list, as it was never a Top 40 radio hit. 
It's a nice bit of country-tinged pop.
13) You May Just be the One. The Monkees. 1967.





For more about the Thursday 13, 
or to play along yourself, click here.


9 comments:

  1. I actually knew most of these :)
    I think it's great the way our ipods etc introduce us to music from so many different eras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:18 AM

    Haven't thought of Dusty Springfield in ages. Thanks for that, and for the lesser Monkees tune.

    ReplyDelete
  3. someone else just mentioned listening to Carly Simon and I thought to myself, wonder who that is but I see she's in my iTunes too. have I forgotten more music than I'll ever encounter again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew and liked most of these, too! "Me and Julio" is by Simon & Garfunkel, unless you have a different version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved all these songs! Marshall Crenshaw--such memories of college.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good tunes. Aren't iPods/Mp3 players great? We can always have our tunes with us.

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2013/06/inspired-by-friends-new-ideas-and-good.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good mix--the only two I didn't recognize are 6 and 13. Number 1 made me think of a Wisconsin Dells boat trip friends and I did many moons ago. My T13

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew most of those - more current the less I knew. Sigh. I love most of these songs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore this list, and The Hues Corporation.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.