Monday, January 21, 2013

Presidential Geek Fest

This weekend I have been watching Cspan and The History Channel 2. With the Inauguration, they have been focused on the Presidency. How interesting to have all the Presidents of my lifetime in my living room again!

Watching the Truman-Bush 43 Inaugural Addresses in real time, I was impressed by what real snoozes most of them were. Eisenhower, JFK and Reagan were the only engaging speakers, and only "Ask not ..." was really memorable. All of these men had to have been charismatic on the campaign trail or would not have won election. So I am left to conclude that they were overwhelmed by the enormity of the task at hand and the historic significance of this particular speech and it intimidated them.

Reviewing news and newsreel footage of the Presidencies from the 1930s to 2008, it seems that the two who enjoyed the job most were FDR and Clinton. Johnson and Carter seemed most bereft to leave office.

I wonder how the Obama years will look through the lens of time.

I love cable.




1 comment:

  1. I don't care who the president is, I get emotional. The pomp and ceremony gets me.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.