Wednesday, January 02, 2013

I resolve



All this talk about "the fiscal cliff" and the possibility of another (!) Recession got me thinking about my finances in a more immediate way. Lately I have been concentrating so much more on what I'm saving and where (IRA, 401(k), annuities, bonds) for the long-term that I have ignored what I'm spending today. Also, the daunting bills attached to my mother's death have given me a "what the hell/I'm already in the hole" attitude.

But I'm almost out of "the hole" left by my mother's estate* and it's time to start behaving like a grown up. So one of my resolutions for 2013 is to bring my lunch to work at least once a week. I estimate that will save me approximately $500 over the year.

$500 in and of itself isn't that big a deal, I know. But it's a start. And it's daily reminder to keep an eye out for opportunities for austerity.


*Hopefully it will all be settled by the end of next month

4 comments:

  1. $500 is a very big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. plus bringing your lunch will help your diet :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Every little bit helps. Of course, it's only saved if you put the money you would have spent into the bank.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your words: "opportunities for austerity." Somehow those words seem to make the concept a little easier to swallow.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.