Wednesday, July 18, 2012

www.wednesday

To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…

• What are you currently reading? Sisters in Crime edited by Marilyn Wallace. A collection of short mysteries by "today's women writers." I should mention that "today" is a relative term, since this paperback came out in 1989. Still, I see Sue Grafton, Sara Paretsky and Linda Barnes, so I have high hopes. Plus, I picked it up for 25¢ at a library book sale in another town. I happened to wander by en route to getting my hair cut. I love finding treasures like this. It originally belonged to Mary Ellen Gast, who wrote her name on the title page in blue felt tip.
 
• What did you recently finish reading? The Meryl Streep Movie Club by Mia March. “A novel of love, family and movie night.” I thought this was a missed opportunity. The author created four very original, very individual women characters (no mean feat!) and gave each a compelling backstory (even better!) and then put them in incredibly predictable situations where really handsome men with crinkling, twinkling eyes and cute buns just happen to fall into their lives. There was only one plot twist that I didn't see coming. I don't expect chick-lit to be as intricately plotted as a mystery. But in this book, as soon as a male character was introduced I knew how the plot would be resolved. Disappointing, considering how much I liked the women characters.

• What will you read next? Anne Frank's Family by Mirjam Pressler. It's been 70 years since Anne breathed free. I think she deserves to be remembered, and this scholarly book fits the bill.

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading Sisters in Crime when it came out--and then I went on to read all the authors' series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Library book sales are the best!!
    Lovely choices.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.