Wednesday, February 01, 2012

I Want Wednesday

I want to fake until I make it. I think I done good today. For when I read an email this morning from my oldest friend, detailing how unsatisfactory Monday's job interview went, I resisted my first impulse, which was to scold. I didn't say: "Why are you applying for jobs that would require you to pull your troubled daughter out of her high school at the very moment she's making headway, to move your son out of district so he doesn't even qualify for the most basic college tuition break, and break your lease and further damage your already seriously-compromised FICO score?"

Because even though I know that, when I say such things, I am trying to knock some sense into her so she will have a less chaotic, happier life, she may just hear, "Why didn't I think of that? I suck." So instead, I just responded with a nice, non-judgmental inquiry about her search for jobs closer to home. 

This was my last big revelation of 2011, and I'm hoping to be a better friend by taking it heart, today and every day.

2 comments:

  1. Very good at resisting that temptation...now, do you mind teaching that skill to my mother?

    silverthoughts2.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.