Tuesday, February 01, 2011

And so it begins

The blizzard they have been warning us about for days has arrived. I left work just before 3:00 and this is how it looked. Now that I'm safe and warm at home, all I can see out my window is white. It coming down so fast and so hard that I can barely see the sky. It's quite exciting!

They say it's snowing at a rate of 2" per hour, which makes it impossible for municipal workers to keep up with. We shouldn't be surprised if we have 2 feet of snow by morning, and with the wind, the drifts will be truly awe inspiring.

Trains are overcrowded. Highways are gridlocked. O'Hare and Midway are virtually closed until Thursday.

Mayor Daley -- God bless him -- says that all we need is common sense and patience. And, may I add, the wisdom to be grateful for TOMORROW'S SNOW DAY!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home and are now safe and snug. It looks like this storm is also going to miss us (this is the third major storm this year to miss us).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay safe, warm and dry, and enjoy your snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got spared this time around in South Jersey. We're getting rain. However, I thought that I was going to get stranded in New York...driving (or rather, riding) down a mountain that's covered in snow is not for the weak of heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:12 PM

    It's started here, too, though I don't know how much we'll end up with. First they said 12", then 8-12" , then 12-18", now 10-12". So we'll see tomorrow, I guess!

    (Regardless, school is canceled and Tim and I aren't going to work if we get that kind of snow. Woohoo!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. got spared here in St Louis..but I recieved about 2 plus inches of sleet. don't have to go into work again tomorrow...but i want off Thursday...so this old gal might give it a try..I can always come home if not safe.
    happy you are home and safe!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.