Sunday, November 28, 2010

Well, that's done

My uncle died Saturday night. He was 68 years old. He was suffering from pneumonia, which exacerbated his Parkinson's Disease. He had trouble swallowing and was facing the prospect of having a feeding tube inserted today, so I believe it was a blessing that he died peacefully, in his sleep.

I loved him.


In February, 1964, he took me along as he ran an errand. That day he bought me this record and told me that I had to watch The Ed Sullivan Show that night. It was that night that I fell forever in love with Sir Paul.

He wasn't the best man in the world. He could be short-tempered and selfish. Sometimes his actions reflected a deficient value system.

And yet he was always good to me. I judge him by that. I remember him that way. I mourn him.

I like thinking of him as happy and whole and with God.

10 comments:

  1. Oh no. I'm sorry to hear this. But it's nice that you have good memories to bring a smile to your face.

    My condolences to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, Gal. I'm so sorry to hear this but you're right - he's at peace now in a way he wasn't here in the physical.

    Sending you love and a big hug. I know it weighs heavily on your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While his suffering is over, this still must be hard for you. You will be in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very sorry for your loss. I know the last few years have weighed heavily on you. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:09 PM

    Oh, I'm so sorry that you've lost your uncle. (Though I realize that really happened a while ago.) I hope that time can begin to erase the pain of some of the more recent memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry to hear about your uncle. you will be in my thoughts & prayers for comfort and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:36 PM

    Gal, Sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle. I know how much you cared about him - it was so obvious in all of your writings how much he meant to you. He was a lucky man to have you in his life. Hold fast to the memories. Snowbird

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is wonderful that you have such touching memories from him to hold onto. You have celebrated his life and its impact on you here many times and I am sad to hear that he is gone - though he, and you, can now be at peace knowing his troubled recent years are over. A virtual hug to you from us.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.