Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Sad is part of life"

So my shrink told me this evening. We weren't talking about me, we were discussing her. But only in the most superficial terms, because she doesn't like us spending my time talking about her. I know her husband has had a rough summer, health wise, which has caused her to cancel some of our sessions. I asked her if she had good news to report and she answered guardedly that she has "hopeful" news.

I feel vulnerable. I know that I'm not her most critical patient, only seeing her once a month. But it's such a comfort to know she's there if I need her.

I also feel badly for her. I've been seeing her since the 1980s. I have been able to tell, by the photos on her desk and the artwork in her waiting room, that her children have grown up and had children themselves. I know she and her husband have been together 40 years.

I know "sad is a part of life." I know that people get old and sick. I may have to accept it, but I don't have to like it.

2 comments:

  1. That insight really caught me. How profound. I'm glad that you and your therapist fit so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting, I think, the relationships we forge with our therapists. If you've been seeing them for such a length of time (my longest was probably 7-8 years), they know so much about you and (as it should be) you know little(ish) about them. So when something does happen like that, it's natural to inquire and it's hard to remember that boundary.

    Instead of worry, hold the energy of PEACE for her. That will do her and her husband so much good, you'd be surprised.

    Sending you love, always.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.