Monday, August 23, 2010

Movie Monday -- Prison Movies

Share movies you've enjoyed featuring jail time or the escape from them, linking back here at The Bumbles. However - NO SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION ALLOWED - that is a slam-dunk automatic. And don't forget to visit your fellow participants!

Cool Hand Luke was just on over the weekend so it's very top of mind. So many favorite scenes! The 50 eggs, "Plastic Jesus," and the montage at the end, when the guys are recalling "that Luke
smile." I may be alone among women on the planet, but I never found Paul Newman sexy. However, when you see "that Luke smile," you can't help but smile back. He was, without a doubt, the coolest man ever.

Brubaker. How can I think of Newman without Redford? I believe this is the only movie where Redford played a character on the right side of the law. He plays a high-minded pris
on reformer, sometimes so stubbornly high-minded he gets in his own way. It's almost as though he's playing the Streisand/Way We Were part this time, with Jane Alexander as the one who is willing to work within the system and compromise. While non-sexual, the conflict and respect between these two characters is unusual and interesting to watch. He's so sure he's right, so convinced that he can help these men (whom he admits are probably very bad men) that he gets himself fired. Could he have done more good if he hadn't been so hellbent on being right? I like movies that are about something, and this one delivers.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you about not finding Newman sexy, and honestly I didn't much care for Cool Hand Luke. Redford was the pretty one, I think.

    I haven't seen Brubaker, so I'll have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have provided me with a film that I need to watch, as I mostly like anything Robert Redford has done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great movie picks. I also didn't find Newman sexy, but I found him likable. I would have loved to hang with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all of us were watching Cool Hand Luke at the same time this weekend! That's what inspired the topic this week actually. I of course swoon over Newman so you can have Redford - though I do love his skills.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.