Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

Let me preface this by saying my mother is healthier than she was last year on this day, and for that I'm grateful. I love my mother very much and would like to have her around for a long time.

That said, Mother's Day 2010 was unsettling.

No, not because my mom was dissatisfied with her gift. She was happy with the set of six commemorative repeat/three-peat Bulls glasses, prominently featuring her beloved Michael Jordan. And yes, yesterday she recalled that earlier this year I'd given her $500 to care for her poor sick cat, Lucy, and that we had agreed that would be her Mother's Day present. So our visit was pleasant. I "got" her on Sunday because my kid sister and her family wanted to fuss over my mother on Saturday.

I noticed that she's looking older every time I see her, and she can be very vague in conversation, but we got along well. The best times were when we rhapsodizing about my niece and nephew, who my mom and I agree are fantabulous.

The weird part was my kid sister. First, my mom relayed a message from her -- my sister has decided that "the adults" aren't exchanging gifts anymore for holidays or birthdays because she and her husband can't afford it. I said to my mom, "They're still buying for you, right?" Yes, she said. So it's just ME that my sister and her husband aren't exchanging gifts with anymore.

Also, I have been trying to engineer a few days of "side jobs" for my brother-in-law at a friend's house. After all, I keep hearing about how dire their financial straits are, and I know he does handyman projects on weekends. My brother-in-law has embarrassed me by not even returning my friend's calls. Okeedokee.

Then my kid sister kept calling. First to talk to my mom, then to me, then my mom again. The first calls were about a cat she was thinking of adopting -- her Mother's Day gift from her family. She wanted my advice for incorporating a second cat into their household. That's just like my kid sister. As she once said to me during an argument, it doesn't bother her to accept favors from me but somehow I just don't "inspire her to give."

The last call was the most awkward. I heard my mom say, "No, not yet. Soon … Pork would be nice … Breaded … I really shouldn't right now … No not yet …" I just packed up my purse and called a cab. It was clear that my sister was ordering carry out for her family and my mother and I wasn't included. Since she was in such a hurry for me to get out of my mother's house, I did my best to oblige.

As my mom gets older, I promise myself I will try to get along with my sisters for her sake. But the fact of the matter is, my kid sister is a selfish brat without redeeming features -- except, of course, my niece and nephew.

4 comments:

  1. i just want to slap her...darn that makes me mad....
    you did handle it better then i would...God love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way Vivian does - let me bitch slap her just one time for you. Geez. That's just sad - what a twit she is.

    My unasked for advice: stop helping. Just let it go. Like those freaking teabaggers and Obama, no matter what you do, it won't be right or enough. They've demonstrated they aren't worth your energy. (I had to do the same with "Cousin who hates me" and it was hard because I knew I had help to give. Shine your light where it's valued (Like that nice co-worker to whom you gave the mother's day rose - that? Lovely. Just lovely.)

    I am so sorry that this happened and that they put your mom in the middle of it. You have every right to spend time with her - FFS, she's your mother too.

    I hate to see your sweetness unappreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I be in line for the bitch slap also? Lisa has great advice, stop helping your sister, she'll never appreciate it. Any money that you think you might want to spend on her, buy a savings bond instead for your niece or nephew. They'll appreciate it.
    What struck me from this Mother's day account, is that your sister is very jealous of you and your relationship with your mother. Any chance you can have a visit with your Mom w/out your sister knowing about it in advance? Or better yet, take Mom out or to your house and turn off the phone.
    Have you seen The Departed? My brother quotes the line often when talking about my aunt.
    Billy Costigan: "When my mother dies, we don't have any more connection."
    Your sister's loss.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the sibling relationship. I'm struggling with one of my sisters who only seems to talk to me when she needs something... and I'm there for her. It's hard. You want to slap her (you meaning we)and yet... she's your sister.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.